The William George Agency for Children Services was established by William R. George in 1895 on family property in Freeville, near Ithaca. The Agency’s original name was The George Junior Republic and it operated under that name until 2003.  From small beginnings, it grew to a co-educational institution with nearly 200 "citizens" in the early 1970's. Its distinctive self-government, economic system and work program were imitated by junior republics in Connecticut, Pennsylvania and California. .

A professional staff supplies treatment; only boys have been enrolled since 1991; 19 cottages serve children with special needs; the campus school has been chartered as a Special Act school by the New York State Education Department, with a 6:1:1 student/teacher ratio.

The Agency has experienced continued growth. There is a current capacity of approximately 210 beds.  The enrollment is almost equally split between regular institutional beds and special services beds.  The residents come from virtually every community in New York State, referred by probation or social services departments, school districts and the Office of Children and Family Services (formerly the Division for Youth). The school was remodeled and enlarged in 1991, and again in 2001.  There are more than 20 work sites in the extended school program. The recreation program is equipped with a full equine program enhanced by the implementation of a structured activities program and an adventure-based counseling center.

Home